What is it and how do I use it?
‘Mobile Breathing’ is a breathing technique I’ve developed for my clients in Harley Street. It brings fast and effective relief from the daily rush of our lives. If you find yourself stressed, anxious or panicky, I highly recommend this for your in-the-moment first aid.
It’s simple and very easy to use.
How does Mobile Breathing work?
Mobile Breathing helps you control your breathing by re-creating a relaxed breathing pattern. This calms your mind, triggering the ‘relaxation response’ through activation of your parasympathetic nervous system.
Give it a go. It really works!
All you need is your mobile phone…hence the name! (If you’re in the US, feel free to call it “Cellular Breathing” instead!)
How do I use it?
Equipment needed: your mobile phone, (or kindle, ipad-mini etc)
Time taken: 2 minutes
- Hold your mobile in your hand.
- With the index finger of your other hand, gently run your fingertip round the edge of the screen at a constant speed.
- Breathe in gently as your finger runs across the top of the screen
- Breathe out even more gently as your finger runs down the edge
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 across the bottom and up the other side of your mobile
- Notice the sensation in your finger tip as it moves
- Keep breathing like this for 2 minutes, (longer if you need to).
- Breathe through your nose, in and out.
- Breaths need to be comfortable, so move your finger at the speed that’s best for you.
- This isn’t a deep breathing exercise, so just keep breathing whichever way is most comfortable for you.
- If you know how, use ‘belly’ breathing, (where your belly moves out when you breathe in and moves in when you breathe out). This gives space for your diaphragm to move properly.
P.S. If you’re in a technology free zone, you could use an A4 notebook, a book, or just find something rectangular instead…
Try it for yourself & do leave feedback here to help others who might want to use it.
If you’d like to discuss more about how I can help, it’s easy to get in touch.
To find more self-help ideas, there are plenty of articles here, just for you! You might like to start here.